The History of the Statue of Liberty
The statue was designed by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi of Alsace as a gift to the United States from the people of France to memorialize the alliance of the two countries in the American Revolution and their abiding friendship. The statue was finally finished in 1884 with the help of tons workers that working ten hours days and seven days a week for nine years and the statue was presented to America on July 4. Frederic Auguste Bartholdi thought that the New York harbor was the perfect setting for his masterpiece because it was "where people get their first view of the New World." The massive steel structure that holds the Statue of Liberty was designed by Gustave Eiffel.
Statue of Liberty at SunsetThe Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886 and was designated a National Monument in 1924, and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986, and a World Heritage Site in 1984.
This statue has become the icon of freedom and of the United States, and a symbol of welcome for all immigrants coming to America.
Today this statue was the main tourist attractions of New York and also the obligatory for all people that visiting America.
This statue is also seen on the New York State Quarter.
The total weight of the Statue was 450,000 pounds, the thickness of her waist was 35', and the new torch was covered with thin sheets of 24k.
This statue is one of the best known American landmarks.
This statue was not green from inception, it turned green due to atmospheric conditions, the main being acidic rainfall.
The torch that we see today is not the original torch of 1886. This torch was replaced during the 1984-86 restoration because the restoration was found unsuitable. The original torch was underwent major modifications in 1916 and today this torch is located in the Lady Liberty's Museum.
The statue was administered by the United States Lighthouse Board until 1901 and then by the Department of War. And since 1933 it has been maintained by the National Park Service.
The statue was closed for renovation for much of 1938. While the statue was closed from 1984 to 1986 the torch and a large part of the internal structure were replaced.